Graduate Student Workshop
Designed to help students prepare for the highly competitive job market, this program offers selected Ph.D. candidates hands-on experience in job market paper presentation skills, career mentoring and interview techniques. Since 2009 the workshop has been held in conjunction with WEAI’s Annual Conference, which in 2023 will be July 2-6, in San Diego, California.
Your department is invited to nominate one Ph.D. student who plans to enter the job market by January 2024 to participate in this innovative program. If your institution is an Academic or Sustaining WEAI Institutional Member you can nominate two students; three students if a Supporting Member; or five if a Sponsoring Member -- learn more about Institutional Membership.
Benefits for Selected Students
- Mentoring from recognized scholars
- Complimentary conference registration and one-year WEAI online membership
- Economy-class airfare and airport transportation to attend the workshop, up to $700 based on receipts, plus four-night stay at the conference hotel, July 1-4.
- Recognition in Association publications and at the Presidential Luncheon and Annual Business Meeting
Schedule of Activities
By accepting the invitation to participate in the WEAI Graduate Student Workshop, students are expected to attend the following events:
Evening Meet and Greet and Dinner | July 1, 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
GSW participants get together to meet up with their advisors for a casual meet and greet followed by dinner with fellow participants.
Seminar Presentation Workshops | July 2, 8:00 a.m.
The selection committee divides students into groups each consisting of four students and one faculty advisor. To simulate the seminar portion of a typical interview experience, students make a 50-minute to one-hour presentation of their job-market paper, followed by 20 to 30 minutes of questions, comments, and discussion (individual advisors may alter this time ratio). Advisors offer candid critiques of presentation style and technique. Time permitting, advisors will give general job market advice, critique CVs, and give specific advice to each student.
Mock Interview Panels | July 3, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Students are scheduled for individual mock interviews that resemble a 25 minute ASSA job interview (25 minutes of interview plus 20 minutes of feedback). Interview panels include graduate student advisors and other volunteers. Interviews are done individually to most closely simulate what occurs during an ASSA interview.
Nomination Materials due by December 15
Please submit the following information online (SUBMIT NOW!):
- A two-page synopsis of the student’s job market paper, including references. A fully developed, but not necessarily final, version of the job market paper will be required from the selected students by April 15.
- Student’s curriculum vita.
- Recommendation letter from student’s thesis advisor.
Criteria for Selection
A committee of the WEAI selects students based on topic importance, and originality of ideas and techniques.
Workshop Program Timeline
- December 15: Nomination deadline.
- February: WEAI and Advisors Contact Students
WEAI announces the selection of students. Advisors contact students to let them know plans for the workshop, what their responsibilities are, and answer any questions.
- April: Rough Draft of Papers
By April 15, students will be invited to upload a rough draft of papers to the GSW website.
- May and June: Stay in Touch and Upload Final Papers
Students will receive information for the Mock Interview Panels with participant information and scheduling. Advisors are encouraged to stay in regular contact with students. By June 1, students should upload their final revisions of papers.
E-mail [email protected]